Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Same-same just a bit later




I am talking about Fall in Korea. It is similar (or same-same in korean english) to our fall in MN however it seems to just occur later. We were enjoying nice 70 degree weather up until Halloween. It has now taken a sharp dip down to the low 30s.  It's COOOOOLD. I have to remind myself that I am from MN and that I can handle this.
Anyway, I went hiking with a couple friends the weekend before at Bukhansan National Park which happens to be in Seoul, north edge. The leaves were all changing, beautiful colors, and there was a cool view at the peak of the city of Seoul. It is the second tallest mountain in Seoul.  Compared to the hike I did in Seoraksan earlier in July (see pics below),  this hike was easy.  It was only a couple hours in comparison to the 12 hour hike to the top at Seoraksan. However, the scene at the peak was very different than the other climb.  I am not sure if I emphasized enough in my previous hiking post that Koreans LOVE hiking.  I am not sure why it is such a favorite pasttime but the mountain is always littered with Koreans in their high tech hiking gear like dri fit clothing which I am convinced keeps them sweat free, making me feel completely rediculous in my sweats and running shoes.  Often they let me know they think I am ridiculous by laughing, snickering, or just plain staring.  Whatever. I can still climb! Anyway, my point is that the peak was covered with these Korean hikers and the peak itself was extremely rocky and small.  Mike came along but stopped climbing quite early in the hike.  He is scared of heights and after reaching the top I know that he couldn't have made it without wetting himself. It was ACTUALLY pretty scary... first you pulled yourself up with a rope using a metal railing for support that was nailed to the side of this steep rock.  Once you were at the top, you were joining a large group of people, pushing by each other to get up and down and all around.  The top was all rock, no flat area to stand and with everyone pushing it got quite scary.  But there was a wonderful view of the city and the beautiful foilage that was red, orange, yellow, and green still!
Here are some pictures to enjoy.




is it... The Ilkka's backyard???


If you look closely, you can see 2 people on the mountain through the leaves... this is a very popular mountain to do free climbing on, pretty much meaning rock climbing with the bungees, carabiners, ALL.

There's Mike, Matt's behind him bending over, and Ray a bit farther down the hill. It was a hard climb. Worked up quite a sweat!



THE TOP!



The Korean hikers at the top of the mountain



There is Seoul down there.. look closely!

The beautiful leaves and their fall colors.


The scary top, and the railing you hold on to for dear life.





ME @ the TOP--->


No comments:

Post a Comment