Monday, November 2, 2009

Well... it's been a while.

First off, I will apologize for my absence of blogging for far too long. Many things have happened since I last posted and I'm sure this will be a long update. 
How about I start off with the wonderful visit with my padre... the lovely Mr. Ilkka stopped by and hung out for a while as part of his 3 country business trip.  It was definitely one of the best weeks so far.  I enjoyed showing him a piece of my life here in Seoul. We met for dinner a couple times and then got to spend a full day together on Saturday.  We started the day off at my hole in the wall apartment.  Dad got a chance to see my living conditions and the surrounding area.  We then took off for Insadong, a very traditional area of Seoul.  In Insadong is the only Starbucks coffee sign in the entire world that is not in English.   There are many vendors lining the streets selling their goods.  There were also many foreigners roaming the streets just like my dad and me.  We had a nice Korean lunch, walked by the Cheonggyecheon Stream which is a creek that is lower than street level that flows through the city.  It is a little bit of much needed peacefulness among the craziness that is Seoul. After we ventured over to the Korean War Museum. There we met up with Mike and enjoyed the museum which had both an indoor and outdoor display of artifacts.  Many planes, guns, uniforms, videos, etc.  It was just fun to spend time with Dad. Top finish off our great day together, we went to my usual restaurant on my block, the one I have talked about before where I get gift certificates for my frequent business and most workers recognize me.  We had samgypsal (pork BBQ) - delicious! And of course when we checked out, we were given another gift certificate! :-) Following dinner was my favorite part of the night.  I took Dad and Mike to the noraebang for their first experience with the magic of a singing room.  We had such a blast there singing together. Great way to end the night. It was so special that Dad could spend some time with me.  I hope he comes again!  And brings Mom this time :-) right Mom?
Thanks for a fun week Dad!


Dad and I in my sweet apartment.  Timer pic!
At the Fountain in Gwanghwamun

Still at the Fountain Area - Beautiful Flower bed, supposedly there are the same number of flowers planted here as days that Seoul has been the capital of Korea

At the stream - self vacay of course!

That says Starbucks in Korean. Try to read it... I dare ya.

A close up of a wind toy that a vendor was selling on the street in Insadong

We are all Dorks. Here is Dad the Dork. Dad with his best friend.


Emily the Dork. YES the leaves ARE larger in Korea.

Now Mike the Dork. (at the war museum)

War Museum... statue outside


Dad and Mike inside a transporter/tank
















Dad in front of the famous war memorial statues.


















My turn with the statues!

Inside the museum, just working on my gun skills. ( i was horrible, dad was great!)


Dad enjoying the BBQ... chopstick PRO.
And of course following dinner was the memorable noraebang experience...Dad probably enjoying some Nirvana.





No comments:

Post a Comment