Saturday, December 5, 2009

Halloween - Korean Style.

I am finally getting around to updating my blog. Busy, busy times here in Korea. With Halloween, Thanksgiving, and planning for the Christmas concert at work, oh and report cards of course, and exploring Seoul on the weekends, my free time is quite small. But, here I sit on a very cold, Saturday morning eating Goldfish (just found then yesterday here in Korea), watching the flurries (yay! but of course it won't stay, only long enough to make the street slippery), finally updating this blog.
So, Halloween. Yeah. We celebrated it at school and it was way more elaborate than I ever thought a Korean school would get. The decorations for Halloween went up on October 1.  These decorations included spider webs, a haunted cave, dry ice.. .like I said more celebration than ever expected. And for those of you that know me well, you know that Halloween is probably my least favorite holiday, besides Valentine's day when you are single of course, but I do not enjoy buying a costume that is ridiculously priced so I can wear it for 1 night.  I DO enjoy the candy. :-) However, after I saw the decorations and preparations the school was going through to set up for Halloween, I sucked it up and went out and bought a costume.  It turned out to be much better than I had planned.  I found a cute bee costume at a Halloween shop, one of the few in Korea.  When I went to pick it out, the store was packed with foreigners trying to find costumes for the wonderful holiday.
At school, all the teachers had a different station they were in charge of and the kids rotated to each station to do the activities.  I did Halloween Bingo. There was also pumpkin carving, making masks, scary stories, and many more. It was a fun day getting to see all the other kindergarteners that I don't teach. Most of the kids were in costume too so it was also fun to see all the different costumes they had. MANY MANY Spidermen and princesses.  I would say those were the 2 most popular. I wore my costume all day, even for the older kids. They all yelled after me, "Hello, Ms. Beeeeee!" and I would proceed to chase them making a lovely buzzzzzzing. :)
For a little after school fun, a group of us went to a Halloween party of a bunch of teachers. Then we headed to Itaewon, the city by the military base where we wouldn't get the typical stares from Koreans because the whole town was in costume. It was fun to see people celebrating Halloween in another country.
Overall, Halloween was more fun than I projected. Shocking.

AND pretty sure this bee costume is rewearable. yesss.

My Kinder class - the Chestnuts! only 7 came, I do have 12 students though



The Princesses and Me. :-)


I know you aren't supposed to have favorites but here is mine, Sunny!


GROUP PIC! My class plus my Korean Teacher in front of the pumpkin/ other decos


Matt, my co worker and partner teacher. we share the Chestnut class.
He was a swimmer, obviously.


A couple more cuties


Rachel, a 2nd grader, wore a full bear costume.. she is a peanut too so it was adorable!


After work fun! My spiderman! :-) on our way to the Halloween party


The bee and grapes! Cindy, a co worker and myself..


A couple kids we saw on our way to the party.  they wanted a picture with us, I think more with Spiderman but Mike told me to take one with them


Had to include this one, here is Matt and Mike teaching Koreans a few dance moves, including Mike's signature knee switching move. HAA love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment