Wednesday, September 2, 2009

oh stress. report cards, 80 new names, swine flu... you know the usual

Just finished up a hard week last week and another starts again... agh. Report cards being due are what made last week so stressful. I have decided that this job is not stressful really except for once a month when I have to do report cards. These report cards consist of a series of number rankings for each student as well as a short paragraph of comments about the particular student. As I have mentioned much earlier, I have many students. Let's see, I will do some quick math........ ok. In total, I have about 80-90 students. Imagine doing MONTHLY report cards for all of these children, many who I only see twice a week (in a month, I see them about 8 times). Now you might understand why this is so stressful.
The reason THIS week is a little crazy and hectic is the fact that our new semester just started on Tuesday. This means I have all new classes, 70some more names to learn. grrrreat. I kept my kindergartners and will be with them until March. I am now teaching 2 R1 classes(this means they are first graders that have lived abroad and now moved back to Korea - R= returnee), two regular 2nd grade classes, 2 fourth grade classes, and 2 fifth grades. It is hard to get all new students, especially since I was just getting to know all my other kids. The only fun thing is that I now know more students and when I am walking around the school many kids stop me just to say hi. :-) I love it.
Other stressor here in Korea is the swine flu. School is cracking down and now anyone, teachers or students, who leave the country for a vacation need to be quarantined for 7 days. This means no vacation for any of us teachers. I had been starting to plan a trip to Hong Kong Disneyland for a three day weekend we have in October. Oh well. Guess I will be exploring more of Korea. I am very excited and happy that my family is coming for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment